About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Saturday, February 10, 2007
Go Diego Go Live!
What an exhausting day. My Mom and I took Kayla to see the Diego show today. Kayla was so excited and had a great time. Her favorite character today (Dora was only in it a little bit) was Baby Jaguar. She was mesmerized the entire show and asked for Baby Jaguar the few times he was not on stage. She participated a few times when asked, but for the most part was just content to sit back (in my lap), suck her thumb and stay glued to the stage.

For me? It wasn't as enjoyable. Don't get me wrong - it was an awesome production. The acting and singing was phenomenal. The costumes and staging was amazing! I couldn't have been happier with the show itself. It was the vast amount of potentially deadly food that threw me for a loop. Now I knew food would be there. We took Kayla to see Dora back in April at another arena. And food was there. Popcorn and other snacks. But for the most part, there was very little food around during the show. We just couldn't let her down in the lobby. But this place - a WHOLE different ballgame. There was popcorn on the floor b4 the arena even filled up - they apparently don't know how to clean up very well. Every where I turned there was pretzels and chips with cheese sauce dip and, the worst - bags of buttered popcorn. Again, I knew we'd encounter food, I just didn't expect it to this extent. I felt like I might as well have been in a movie theater (which we refuse to take her to right now due to her contact allergy). So we got to our seats (early luckily) and I know I was getting looks. I'm sure people were thinking - look at that germaphobe cleaning all their seats. Yup, there I was with my package of wipes, wiping down the arm rests and all parts of the seats - the back, the front, the cushions and the backs and tops of the ones in front of us. Again, I'm glad were there b4 anyone else in our area. But there I am the entire show, sitting in the middle of the row with people all around us with pretzels and popcorn and at one point, the child a few seats down dumped half his bag of popcorn on the floor. Mental note - don't leave that way. I felt like I had eyes all around my head. Then b4 the show started, I hear a Mom behind us say the dreaded words to her gf. I have goldfish for the kids. Oh - is there anything worse? So now, my ears are trained to listen for the ripping of a goldfish bag. And all through the show, the girl with them is leaning on the empty seat next to me - the one empty b/c K is on my lap - the one with our coats, etc. Then during intermission - I hear the girl say "I'm hungry" - and rummage-rummage-rummage. I am looking out of the corner of my eye - what does she pull out - the bag of goldfish. Again, this is the girl who likes to lean on our seat. So I politely turn to the Mom and asked her if she would just not have her touch our seat after she eats the goldfish. I explained why and was super nice, etc. Her response? Oh, not a problem. Honey, sit back in your seat while you eat the goldfish. Then to me - I'll wipe her hands with a wipe as soon as she's done. And she did. *sigh* It's refreshing when you encounter such wonderful and understanding Moms. Of course, she's probably thinking "better her than me". Then of course, she asked some questions, etc and thought it was sad. She was so nice. I was so appreciative.

The worst part? Kayla. The poor girl wanted cotton candy desperately. Now, she's never had it and doesn't know what it was. But I kept hearing - "Mommy, I want that". Of course, we don't know what it's touched, etc. So it's a no-no. Then, what broke my heart was telling her over and over that she couldn't have one of the huge, delicious-looking soft pretzels that everyone around us was eating. Luckily, I had safe pretzels with us - but they're no soft pretzels. That was hard for me too - I was starving! LOL

So I was so tense the whole show - watching all around me and not letting Kayla touch anything. But it paid off. We had not contact and therefore no reaction to contend with. But when we left the building, all the tension left my body and left me with a HUGE headache. Weird when tension release can give you that kind of pain.

She was none-the-wiser though and couldn't have been happier. So aside from that it was an amazing show with wonderful performers who looked to be having fun with the kids. All the kids there was so cute singing and playing along. And it's refreshing as a Mom to see a show that is 110% appropriate for kids. Definitely worth it.

Here are some pics of our trip. And yes, I stole a pic at the end of the show. Ssssshh...don't tell. I was hoping to get a better shot of Baby Jaguar (on the left), but it was towards the end and some of the kids were standing. Baby Jaguar's costume was my favorite - he was adorable!

Here is a pic of Kayla "with" Diego. They took a pic that I'm waiting to be available on-line. Will post when I get it...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's Kayla waiting patiently for the show to start...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kayla is ready to help Baby Jaguar get his growl back...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is the final scene. It doesn't do the props and scenery justice...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kayla is really enjoying the last song...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Alysa got a souvenir too even though she was home with Gramps all day...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


posted at 8:37 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 10:24 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I'm glad Kayla had a great time. We encountered the same thing when we went to the Wiggles. They had Giant hot pretzels. With Jasons wheat allergy, everytime someone walked by with one my heart sank. I felt badly for Marky too because he wanted cotton candy and I had to say no because Jason couldn't have it. I hate Goldfish. Wheat and Milk is just the worst. Luckily everything went off without a hitch for you. I know we can't keep them in a bubble, even though we want to:)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kayla looks so happy. It never occurred to me how hard a show like that could be. Glad you survived it!

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Zany Mama said...

I felt tense just reading your post, but I'm glad the show was good! And just as an aside, I kind of believe that goldfish are evil. They look all smiley and innocent but they're full of dairy danger. Innocuous looking, but deadly. Dreadful combination, that.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Christine said...

So cute! Sorry it was so stressful for you, but I'm glad you were able to keep your stress from Kayla!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Saturday Photo Hunt
Can I Quit Gymnastics?
Friday's Feast
5 Minutes for Mom is having Stork Contest
An Uneventful Week
Thursday Thirteen #13
Wordless Wednesday
My Weekend
Gotta Love a Contest
Saturday Photo Hunt

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: