About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Sunday, August 12, 2007
Kayla's 3rd Birthday Party


Kayla's party was yesterday and today, J is at work and this house is filled with 3 exhausted females. The party was a great success and although the sun was strong, it was in the low 80's with no humidity. We have tents and trees, so in the shade it was perfect. Kayla loved having her friends over and all the kids appeared to have a good time. It was a Backyardigans theme and I got all the stuff for it and then Friday, Kayla tells me how excited she is to have her Backyardigans party hat. Um...I hadn't gotten hats b/c the kids really don't wear them. So out to the store we went Saturday morning to get them. It was the only thing she asked for at her party and she wouldn't stop talking about wanting her hat. She actually did wear it. :)

At one point I came outside and Kayla ran up to me all dramatic with her hands and arms spread out to her sides and said, "Mommy, EVERYONE is here." She was SO excited!

I got a lot of compliments on the food and we have a TON of leftovers. I'm thankful for having two freezers. My parents also took some home. It's pretty ironic too, that although Kayla has only one food allergy, I actually juggled 4 food allergens at her party. I have a girlfriend who's daughter has a peanut and chocolate allergy and another friend who I just found out her son is allergic to strawberries. Peanuts are "easy", as we avoid them anyway and the cake mix I use is dedicated peanut, egg and dairy free. I actually had originally planned on doing a chocolate cake filling because Kayla loves chocolate. But when possible, I would rather have all my food safe for all my guests. It's not always possible, obviously, but chocolate is easily avoided. I am also leaving strawberries out of the fruit salad.

This year's dairy-free menu is as follows...
Entrees:
Sausage, Peppers & Onions
Slow Cooker Sweet & Tangy Chicken (this was a new dish I found and it got rave reviews!)

Side Dishes/Appetizers:
Kielbasa wrapped in Crescent Rolls
Herb Roasted Potatoes
Antipasto Rice Salad
Baked Beans
Fruit Salad

We also had chips, pretzels and onion dip. And for the kids, I make Chicken Fries. They are dairy free and both my girls LOVE them. I get them through Market day.

Here are the recipes for the above menu...
Sausage, Peppers & Onions:
This is being made by my Mom - so I don't have the specifics besides the obvious, Sausage, Peppers & Onions.

Slow Cooker Sweet & Tangy Chicken:
INGREDIENTS
2 (18 ounce) bottles barbecue sauce
1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, mix together barbecue sauce, pineapple with juice, green bell pepper, onion, and garlic.
2. Arrange 4 of the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker. Pour half of the barbecue sauce over the chicken. Place remaining chicken in slow cooker, and pour remaining sauce over the top.
3. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours.

Kielbasa Wrapped in Crescent Rolls:
I simply take Kielbasa and wrap them in rolled out Pillsbury Crescent rolls (which are dairy-free). I then bake them in the oven until the rolls are cooked. then I slice them up and serve. Delicious!

Herb Roasted Potatoes:
INGREDIENTS:
6 large potatoes, cut in quarters
6 medium onions, quartered
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place potatoes and onions in a shallow roasting pan. Drizzle the vegetable oil over vegetables and sprinkle with pepper, parsley, basil, and thyme. Lightly stir vegetables to coat all sides with oil and seasonings; bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour, or until fork-tender, turning occasionally to keep the vegetables from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

Antipasto Rice Salad:
2 c. cooked rice
1/3 c. Italian salad dressing
1 1/2 c. assorted meats (ham, turkey, salami)
1/4 c. diced cheese
1/4 c. black olives
1 c. sliced vegetables (green peppers, green onions)
2/3 c. chopped tomatoes

Toss rice with Italian salad dressing. Stir in meats, cheese, black olives and vegetables. Chill, then stir in tomatoes before serving. Makes 4 servings.

For the cake - I use Cherry Brook Kitchens yellow cake mix. The company makes cake mixes that are dedicated peanut, egg and dairy free and they are delicious. I got a Pablo cake pan (from the Backyardigans)and will be putting a lemon cake filling in the cake.

Lemon Cake Filling (I got a lot of compliments on this as well)
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold water
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Juice of medium lemon
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine
Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan. Gradually add water and whisk until well blended. Whisk in egg yolks, lemon peel and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly. Boil one minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter. Cool to room temperature, without stirring.

YIELD: 1 cup; fills one 8" layer

For my onion dip, I will use Tofuti's Better than Sour Cream. You really can't taste the difference between that and "real" sour cream.

Today I will slowly work on getting our house back in order. No easy task after a party. I have a feeling my tired girls will get a wee bit of extra tv today to give me the time to clean and recuperate. (I actually put all the recipes together for this post a few days ago, so don't think I had all morning to type this - LOL.) Any bets on whether I get any rest time today?


posted at 11:33 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 6:55 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Looks like a wonderful party!! What a lucky little girl is to have such a wonderful mommy!! All of your food looked yummy and I'll be borrowing a few of these recipes. Our house is still not totally back together since Jasons party (hello, July 8th). One of the reasons our alarm went off after we returned from vacation was because one of the left over Thomas balloons floated in front of the motion dector. OOPS! Sorry officer, we'll try and remember to keep them contained from now on. I'm so glad that Kayla had a wonderful day :)

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

What a fun party! The cake looked so good! You did a great job! Swimming, games, prizes, food...man, you don't need a nap, you need a WHOLE DAY of sleep! :)

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Looks like it was such a fun birthday party celebration - so glad all went well (and wow you did have to juggle those food allergies!) Thanks for the recipes too! The sweet and tangy chicken sound delicious!

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Kayla had a really FUN birthday~ I'm glad everything went so well. Thanks for the recipes! I'll have to try the sweet and tangy chicken.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, how cool...A whole kids party menu! I would absolutely love to post your "party menu" and fun on my website, www.godairyfree.org. Please let me know if that would be okay, I can be reached at alisa@ that website. Thanks! - Oh yes, and what a fun slide-master, very nice feature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Food Allergy Article
Saturday Photo Hunt
The Wonders of Daddy
Alysa's Ice Cream Adventure
Wordless Wednesday (sort of)
Happy Birthday Kayla
Saturday Scraps #7
Who Wants a 37" Flat Panel TV?
Saturday Photo Hunt
Kayla's 3 Year Chek Up

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: