About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Monday, January 28, 2008
Another Successful Party
Kayla had her first birthday party from her new school friends. This was very exciting for her. If you remember from here, when I spoke to the Birthday Boy’s Mom, she was wonderfully understanding about us coming to play and leave and not stay for the pizza and cake. The party was at Pump It Up. I’ve never heard of it, let alone been there. I’ve since learned they’ve only been open about 1 year and already they’re booking 6 months out for parties. I can see why. This place was amazing! HUGE inflatable slides and obstacle courses and of course “moon bounces”. Kayla had a blast and adored the slide and obstacle course the most. They have 2 rooms and ONLY do private parties, so it doesn’t get crowded and you’re only with people from your party. They have 2 rooms and you spend 40 minutes in each before going to the party room. So they keep a pretty stead flow of parties throughout the day. The rooms are small enough that I could even manage the 2 girls easily by myself. Good to know b/c Monday and Tuesday evenings they do have open family play (but they also limit the number of people). The staff was very nice, the place was extremely clean and there was NO food to contend with in the play rooms. Ah, BLISS! It was actually a pretty relaxing time for me and I was able to stand back, watch her have fun and chat a bit with the other Moms and Dads of her classmates.

Kayla was cute when we got there and she saw the Birthday Boy and another friend from school. She asked me if Miss Danielle was going to be there (her teacher). Every time another child came in that she knew, she got all excited and ran up to them to say “Hi.”.

Her ever growing awareness of her allergies both makes me proud and breaks my heart. When we were getting ready to leave for the party, she asked me if there was going to be dairy-there. So I explained to here that there would be no dairy during the playtime at the party, but that we would have to leave before everyone ate b/c they were having pizza with cheese. I also told her that I would keep watch out for any dairy while she was playing. She was OK with this. But the look on her face when she realized that not only was the fun over, but that we had to leave while all her friends were going in to eat really hurt. She didn’t fight or even cry – she just had this pout on her face, but not a Bratty one – one that just showed how upset she was.

Now some might ask why we didn’t just go in and not eat. I also ask myself that at times. But, she’s contact-reactive, so if I can’t stop a child or an adult from touching her after eating that pizza, we’d have a reaction. If it was a different food, one that was less messy and dangerous I would have stayed – stayed so she could at least sing Happy Birthday to him. But it’s too dangerous – especially with her very possibly being so close to outgrowing. It again, makes me realize that if I can’t get my full with of her outgrowing this allergy fully, I’d even settle for her to lose her contact-reactivity. As we got to the car, she said, “Oh no Mommy, I didn’t sing Happy Birthday to Ethan”. At least she seemed happy enough to learn that they would have cupcakes at school today for his birthday (of course we packed her a safe cupcake).

When we left and said good bye to Ethan, he asked why weren't staying. I told him the pizza will make Kayla sick. It was very sweet b/c he wanted her to stay and that was evident b/c he offered her cake and when that wouldn't work, a donut. He really tried to come up with alternatives so she could stay. He's a sweet boy. It goes to show again, how adabtable kids are. They just accept things and are naturally willing to work around things.

Here are some pictures of her at the party – keep in mind that I will be having some future parties here – it really is an awesome place. Check out their website b/c they have locations all over the country (they have one in Ohio, Chris). Let’s just say it’s good I have a child with no fear b/c these slides were HUGE and STEEP (I went down with her twice and almost chickened out).

Climbing up the stairs to the big slide


Sliding down


The obstacle course


Doing the obstacle course


Kayla in front of the slide


Me and Kayla sliding


posted at 8:50 AM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 11:22 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Very cute! My older sons party is in 2 weeks and it's at a similar place called American Bouncers. This type of thing must be the new trend. We'd never seen it before this year. A boy in his class had his there and my son just loved it. It's kind of pricey but I loved that the food is contained to one room and that each room is private just to the birthday party so I went with it. The pizza is a problem but I'll bring Jasons safe pizza and put my husband on allergen patrol while I take care of everything else.
I hope and pray that Kayla outgrows her allergy. She's so close and it's so heartbreaking that she has to leave early. Allergies are the pits.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Hey! Sounds like a blast! We have been to the one by use probably a half dozen times for parties and the kids always have the best time. BTW, could you edit out the name of the city and just put Ohio?

Thanks!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Thanks! :)

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

I love the last photo. You had a little fun yourself. I'm glad you all had a great time, relaxed and had some fun. That place looks amazing.

Also, I know what you mean about how hard it is when your child doesn't get to enjoy the same thing other kids do. It's so hard to explain to some people WHY I scrape the 2 inch layer of frosting off Josh's cake, or WHY he can't have a teeny tiny cup of
apple juice.

I hope Kayla grows out of it, but it is nice that she's older and aware of her allergies.

I totally agree, it really sucks!

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW~ You are one of the winners of the Ribbon Rockstar Giveaway! I sent you and email.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so glad she was able to have such a fun time at the party - and that place sounds wonderful! What a much better environment than something like chucky e cheese! I am sorry she had to leave before the food and singing part though - my heart would have broken for her too :( Ethan was so sweet trying to find alternatives! Praying she does, at the minimum, outgrow the contact-resistant part of her allergy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Another One of Those Weeks
Blogging Fun
Gymnastics Recital
Insanity Setting In
A Special Thanks
Too Good to be True?
You Know You're Raising Polite Kids When...
A Homeschooling Care Package
Kayla's 1st Party
My Withdrawal

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: