About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Tuesday, January 08, 2008
My New Year’s Resolution…
…to get my act together. Will it actually happen? One can only guess. I feel so overwhelmed with how behind I am on some things. My house is pretty much in order; my kids are thriving, but my stuff? Oh boy. I’m way behind on balancing my check book. I can’t seem to keep my desk and office together and I have a bazillion baby things I need to get rid of. eBay? Consignment shop? Give it away? Some of the stuff is in excellent condition, so I’d like to make a few extra dollars off of it. But that takes time AND motivation.

But, let me wish everyone a Happy New Year! We had a wonderful Christmas with the girls loving every second of Santa’s loot. New Year’s was uneventful and nice. J and I were so wiped out; we went to bed when the girls went to bed. He was asleep at 7:30 and me by 8:30. We live it up here in New Jersey. New Year’s Day we went to a friend’s house for the afternoon and had dinner there. Her daughter has a peanut and tree nut allergy, so she went out of her way to make sure we had a dairy-free meal. She made a turkey with ONLY dairy-free margarine. I made all the side dishes and the desserts. I was fine with the extra work b/c any meal I don’t have to worry about Kayla’s safety is worth it. It was the first time I had a worry-free meal outside of my immediate family (not at my house). It’s hard to express the kind of appreciation you feel for someone who lets your child be normal.

Speaking of food allergies, I had a scary moment last night. The girls were in bed and I turned on the History Channel to see they had a Modern Marvels episode on about milk processing. So J and I sat down to watch. It was interesting. But, the scary part came when they talked a bit about Casein, which is one of the proteins in milk. The proteins are what Kayla and other children allergic to dairy react to. Now, I know that lactose is used in some medications, but what I didn’t know is that casein is used in paints, plastic coatings, glue, fabrics, as well as other things. This made me stop and take a deep breath. Now, Kayla has never reacted to Elmer’s glue or touching plastics, or even paint around our house. So either casein is not in those things that we have or the make-up of the protein is changed so that she doesn’t react to it. But it doesn’t make me feel any more comfortable. So I’ll be checking the Elmer’s glue when I get home tonight just to see. Scary stuff them using food proteins in non-food items. It goes along with the desk calendar I got at work a couple weeks ago. In big letters, on the package it said the inks were soy-based. Using the tope 8 food allergens so predominantly in household items can only mean some bad and scary things for the food allergic. The more these things are used, the more hidden dangers there are for those with food allergies.

In the spirit of playing catch-up, Alysa is now in feeding therapy. She is not as cooperative as Kayla was. It is SO hard to get her to try a bite of anything new. Kayla could be distracted by a new toy and she’d take a bite w/o realizing it. Alysa? Nothing gets past her. Her last session, she wouldn’t take a bite until the very end. And there was Kayla, trying to help Alysa along, as well as begging for the food in front of Alysa. See what feeding therapy did for her? Although I hope (since we’re paying out of pocket for this) that she doesn’t need the therapy for too long, I’m not going to hold my breath.

Kayla still loves school – most days she does not want to leave when I get there to pick her up. Our latest challenge with her is I’m switching her to a new gymnastics class. Let’s just say where she is at is not very engaging. They don’t keep her attention and they don’t make an effort to engage her or take time with all the kids individually. But with 15+ kids in the class, how can they? Kayla’s test class at the new place (Alysa loved it there last week) was a mixed bag. She loved all the stuff they had there when she saw it (it’s a real gym, as opposed to a younger kid play place). But…she ended up doing a lot of crying and they let me be with her in the class. It’s a HUGE place with so many other classes going on – many with older kids and older teens. Plus new people, etc. The typical nightmare for a 3 year old. She did well at first, but after about 5-10 minutes it just got too much for my shy girl. She did have fun in spite of herself and the teacher was great. I know she can learn so much and actually have so much fun. So I’ll take her back next week and hope she adjusts quickly, since I have a feeling it will be a struggle to take her back. It’s a fine line – I don’t want to push her into something she doesn’t like or that scares her, but I’m almost positive, it’s just an adjustment thing. I certainly don’t want to pay good money for her to run around an open room with mats and not get much out of it. Wish us luck with her newest transition.

So now, in the spirit of my resolution, I need to go off and see those that I miss and hope they missed me too. Although in order to miss me, they’d have to remember me. ;)

But, before, I go, please also check out this site. You will see the site of a new online homeschooling magazine. My Sis contributes a column to the magazine, and on the first issue’s cover is none other than my nephew, Elliot. Alysa’s equal-in-age-so-different-and-so-alike-in-so-many-ways cousin.


posted at 12:03 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 3:19 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear things are going well. I need to get things together too. That picture of your nephew is adorable. How cute is he?
Sorry about the camera too. Hope everything is fixed and back home soon.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back! Happy New Years to you and your family! Your nephew sure is a cutie.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Yup, your nephew is a cutie!! ;)

Glad you're back!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Merry Christmas
Can't Win
She's Getting Too Big
Happy Birthday Alysa
Happy Thanksgiving
Milk Allergy Article
MIA
Halloween Pictures
A Fun Halloween
The Latest

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: