About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Friday, August 29, 2008
Meet & Greet
On Wednesday we met with Kayla’s new teacher. Coming on the heals of the Director retiring I had called back to ask if the new Director could join us for the meeting. But…the old director answered and to be honest, I just did not want to deal with her. So I asked her to contact the Teacher Assistant to let her know of Kayla’s appointment time so if she was available she could join us. She had told me she would be willing to do this at the end of last school year. I figured I’d seek out the new Director when I got there.

Apparently, I now have the reputation of “Difficult Parent” because without even asking, the new Director did join the meeting. Nothing they did or said told me they found me to be difficult, but us Mommy’s just know these things. And I figured I’d better get used to it because it will only get more difficult when she leaves private school for public school (*shudder*).

The meeting went really well. Her new teacher is very nice. She is not new to teaching, but is new to Montessori and is in the process of getting certified. She has a daughter who is attending the school as well. She said she has dealt with food allergies before, and she seemed very open and understanding to the whole thing. Both her and the Director had general questions for me about Kayla – when was she diagnosed, what happens, etc. All things that I think are good for them to know. Her TA (teacher’s assistant) was great in helping to get across all they’d done last year. I made sure to tell them how well things went last year and that I was very pleased with how things were handled in the classroom. They will continue not serving blatant dairy in her class – cheese, yogurt, cheese-its, gold fish, etc, etc. Again, this was a voluntary move on their part which makes me very happy. The teacher asked how they handled situations where parents brought in cupcakes, etc. She had also already been given a copy of the instructions I had given them last year.

I also found out (which I didn’t know last year) that they had sent a notice home to the other parents. The new Director told me that all the other parents know about Kayla (I gathered this from some conversations with other Moms) and that even during the favorite snack month (where the kids get a day to bring in a snack), no one brought in cheese or yogurt. It’s always nice to hear when other parents pitch in to keep your child safe.

Kayla also really liked her new teacher and she’s excited to go back. I can tell though this year will be hard on Alysa. On the way to the school, she told me, “Mommy, but I can’t got to school without my backpack.” I explained to here that Kayla wasn’t staying at school and that she will not be going to school with Kayla this year. She broke into tears and said, “I want to go to school.” It’s going to be a looong year.


posted at 1:03 PM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 4:35 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Glad all went well!
I have my meeting on Tuesday. We have a new director too. The director is a "mom" at the school and she and I butted heads last year over something else (she organized the art lesson and had me teach Kandinsky to a bunch of 3 year olds - OY!). But she seems like she'll work with us when I talked to her so I'm going in with a new attitude and an open mind. The teacher for Jason is the same one he had for Mom and Tots (NOT his teacher from last year) so I'm actually excited about that. And she has diabetes (poor lady - she weighs all of 85 pounds so go figure) so she's well versed in giving injections. I'm comfortable with the teacher but we have new rules this year (no fruit from outside of home - it made them too lax last year) so I still need to meet with her too. I'm sure I'm labeled difficult mom too. I'm ok with that =)

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that the meeting went very well, and that the other parents are aware too.

That's great news, and I don't think you are being "Difficult, at all". I think, it's a sign of caring when a parent truly wants to make sure their child is SAFE!!

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sue:

You're in good company. When you & your sister were in elementary school, the principal referred to me as "that Montessori mother" to the teachers. I found this out because I got along really well with the teachers & one of them told me that I was nothing like any of them expected me to be. I obviously was a pleasant surprise.

You are doing a fabulous job of keeping Kayla safe...you're doing all that you can and I'm very proud of you.

Love you,

Mom

PS: I feel so bad for Alysious. She will so miss Kayla.

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to hear that things went well.

As a fellow "difficult parent," we understand the unspoken as well.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

sounds like it was a good meeting and the teacher is already familiar with food allergies in general. That sounds like a good idea to send a note home to parents at least letting them know about the food allgery. I know because of you and Janeen I am a lot more aware! Kayla has to bring a snack for herself every day and I asked the teacher if there were any food allergies in the class so I would know what not to pack. She said not that she knew of, if there was the nurse, or parents, haven't told her. I thought that strange and just took it to mean there weren't - I would guess if there then the parents would make sure the teacher knew! Anyway, thanks to you both for continuing to educate me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
How Easy to Forget
Couch Potato
We walked today
What to Buy
Happy-Happy Days!
Blog Design #2
It's 4 a.m.
Crabbing with the Crabs
Busy Week
Birthday Party - Part 3 - Back at the House

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: