About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Saturday, August 23, 2008
We walked today
This morning was our Food Allergy Walk. It went really well. We raised $1,000 for the walk and I made t-shirts for all of us to wear. Here is what went on the shirts.

Front


Back


*The frames came from Pamela over at Digitreats. They're from her mega and on going ABC kit. She is so very talented and generous.

Check-in was at 7am and the walk began at 8am. My Dad watched Alysa while J, Kayla, my Mom and I walked. There were some vendors there with free goodies. Epi Pen was there with t-shirts, bags for our loot and water bottles. Twinject was there with some informational packets and pens. And then my favorites - Divvies, Home Free [previously known as Gak's Snacks], Enjoy Life Foods and Cherry Brook Kitchens were all there with lots of goodies to sample.

I had never had Gak's Snack's before but I had heard of them. They are delicious cookies, free of peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, wheat and dairy. They've begun branching out to be carried by Whole Foods. Hopefully mine does or will be carrying them. The husband of the founder was there and he was very nice to talk to.

Enjoy Life is one of our favorites and I was finally able to sample their new boom CHOCO boom rice milk chocolate bars. I also saw their newest product - Sunbutter Crunch snack bars. Unfortunately they did not have samples of the sunbutter bars, but...I made friends with the one woman there and before we left she snuck me a box of their cookies (not samples) AND the box of sunbutter bars. I can not wait to sample those babies. Also in our conversations, she told me she is a Dietician for the company and specializes in special diets such as Celiac Disease, Food Intolerance and Allergies. She lives in Northern NJ and is willing to come down by me to be a guest speaker at one of our support group meetings. She also thought Kayla was adorable.

It was very sweet because before the walk started, J had taken Kayla to look around. All of a sudden she came running to me with her arms outstretched all excited. I picked her up and she threw her arms around me and said, "Mommy! It's all safe for me here!" She had seen the Enjoy Life food and knew it and was just happy to be somewhere that she could eat the food. It felt good to be in a large group setting and know that although some food that people had could and would contain dairy, that there would be understanding. But also to see kids eating the cookie samples and know it was safe for her to be around. That feeling is priceless. Safety AND fun for your child. [As an aside, it was disturbing to see some of the volunteers bring dunkin donuts to eat. Thankfully it was fairly contained, but some complaints were put in. I being one of them. Hopefully they'll put the word out for next year to think a little bit more.]

Kayla had fun before the walk by playing on the moon bounce. During the walk, she wanted to be carried most of the time. Not surprising. After the walk, she played on the moon bounce some more as we just hung out. A friend from my support group was there and actually gave the opening speech. So it was nice. And my Mom won an electric scooter for the girls. Of course they're way too small for it and it goes 10mph. My Dad suggested selling it on eBay, so we'll have to see. It will be years before they are old enough to really ride it.

I had a possible mini catastrophe on my hands after the walk. I uploaded the pictures to my computer and after the pictures were deleted (this is usually, but no longer, done automatically upon upload) I noticed only 13 out of 66 were uploaded. I was SICK about it. I was able to take the card into Ritz Camera and they were able to recover the pictures, but...it is costing me $40. OUCH!

Kayla in her shirt




The view on the walk - the schuylkill River and "Boathouse Row".


Kayla & her Daddy


Kayla at the finish line


The jumping fool


All of us


Kayla and my Mom with the scooter


Kayla in her Walk t-shirt


My loot


Janeen - you have 2 sample packets of gluten-free sugar cookies coming your way. I just have to get myself to the post office. ;)



As a side note - it took her 3 days but Alysa FINALLY got the 1st piece of her Cinderella set...the doll. Her hang up was rest time. She hasn't been sleeping, so there was no need for her to pee in her diaper. *sigh* Today, at rest time, she left her room, went potty all by herself and pooped! There may be hope for her yet. She's very excited to have Cinderella but said she needs a dress. Yup kiddo - keep working this hard and you'll have the whole set in no time.


posted at 5:35 PM  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 9:17 PM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I got choked up when she said that everything was safe for her there. Don't you just wish the whole world could be that way??
And thank you so much for the cookies. Jason always asks about "the Kayla that sent me Granola Bars". He'll be so happy to see the cookies :)
I'm so glad that you all had a great day. The pictures are awesome!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Donna said...

What a great day for your family and Kayla. Glad your fundraiser was such a success.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger pearlsandchocolate.com said...

Looks like a fun day!!! I love the shirts!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Nowheymama said...

Great job!

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

sounds like it was a very successful walk! How great that Kayla reaized all the food there was safe food and she didn't have to worry!

Yeah you would think the volunteers would realize not to bring in their own food to an allergy walk!

The shirts look great!

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Looks great!

I know what you mean w/ the "it's all safe for me"... it makes me so happy & yet sad at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
What to Buy
Happy-Happy Days!
Blog Design #2
It's 4 a.m.
Crabbing with the Crabs
Busy Week
Birthday Party - Part 3 - Back at the House
Happy 4th Birthday Kayla
Birthday Party - Part 2 - Pump It Up Fun
Birthday Party - Part 1

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: