About Me

Name:
Sue

Location:
Southern New Jersey

I am a Mom to 2 amazing and fun daughters and wife to a great guy and a wonderful father!

My Complete Profile

Email Me


Kayla
Kayla, my oldest. She is 4 1/2 and is a sweet, loving and silly little girl. She took us 2 ½ years and 3 IVF’s to conceive. Kayla is allergic to dairy. We manage her allergy and work to balance her safety with giving her a normal childhood. Kayla loves to read books and play games - she amazes me every day.


Alysa
Alysa, my youngest. She is 3 years old and is a silly little spitfire. She’s our monkey and loves to climb on everything. She was a “natural” baby, but it was only b/c of my wonderful doctors that we were able to stop an impending miscarriage. Alysa suffers from Acid Reflux Disease and sleep apnea. She may be little, but she has a big personality. She adores her big sister and is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing every day.


Photobucket
Our Daily Reads
Photobucket
On My Nightstand
Photobucket Photobucket
Photos
Mothers Day 2009

Saturday, November 01, 2008
Halloween Adventures
Well, Halloween didn't exactly go the way I envisioned. To say it was an interesting and eventful Halloween is an understatement. Kayla ended up with a non-food-related ER visit. The day started out great with the very successful Halloween party and parade at Kayla’s school. The girls then relaxed in the early afternoon while we waited for my girlfriend Filva, her husband Chris and their sons, Logan & Nick to get here. Shortly after they arrived, Kayla was excited and spinning around in the playroom when she fell and landed on her face and her one top tooth went through her bottom lip. The whole thing was kind of a blur. I knew right away she cut her lip and I swooped her up and ran into the kitchen to get a paper towel. It was then I saw it went all the way through (*shudder*). I just looked at Filva and said, I have to go to the ER – she was like Yeah! It then occurred to me, hey, I have another child. They offered to watch Alysa and then I was trying to figure out how to drive her there and keep pressure on her mouth. Filva offered to go with me if I was OK with Chris watching Alysa. I was immediately like OK and I grabbed towels, my wallet and her epi pens and ran out the door with Filva. Now, on a good day, I can’t get Alysa’s car seat out of the van (those tether straps are mommy-proof), so I knew it wouldn’t happen then. Filva offered to drive and I sat on the floor of the van and held the towel to Kayla’s mouth and tried to keep her calm. It wasn’t until later that I realized I’d left Alysa with a man, that to her, was a stranger (it was the first time we had met each other’s kids). I’m sure Alysa won’t be nominating me for Mother of the Year anytime soon. Thankfully the ER was pretty empty and we got right back (after registration, etc). The doctor checked her teeth (they are fine) and her wound. She told us that she did not need stitches, which totally surprised me. They don’t stitch inside the mouth because there is an increased chance of infection and she said the kids just chew the stitches out before the numbness wears off (NICE!). The outside of her lip was actually smaller and very clean. So they just cleaned her lip really well, gave her some Neosporin on the outside with a pretty band aid and she was good to go (well as good as she could be considering). Kayla was a trooper and never flinched when they cleaned her lip. Of course, Filva had found her a cartoon to watch on TV, so the doctor could barely even get her to acknowledge her let alone answer her questions. Sometimes it's good to have a couch potato-wannabe.

Last night, she tried to eat some eggs for dinner, but it hurt too bad. She tried yogurt, but that hurt and finally she fought through the pain to have an ice pop. She had fun trick-or-treating although it hurt her to smile. After trick-or-treating, she would not take my “we’ll save your candy for when your lip is better” speech. She had waited for candy for weeks and she was not about to let a gaping hole in her lip get in her way. I stuck to no skittles and starburst, but the Dots were soft enough that if she ate teeny tiny bites, she was OK. And she also was able to take some scrapings/teeny bites of chocolate. She also had ice cream before bed. Did I mention we did not brush her teeth after all that candy? She slept OK and even sucked her thumb (see how addicted she is?). Today, she ate some soggy cereal and some zucchini bread and pumpkin bread muffins and eggs for lunch. So she’s definitely doing better, but I’ll keep her to soft foods in small bites. They put her on an antibiotic for 5 days to make sure it does not get infected. Not thrilling to me, but at least it’s only a 5 day course of it. She's also enjoying some extra tv and computer time. I don't have the heart to limit her much today.

Are you wondering how Alysa did with Chris? After we left, she said she wanted to go with Kayla. He told her she couldn’t and she said, “OK, let’s play a game.” That was it. She talked nonstop to him and played with him and Logan & Nick. J, of course made it back home in record time (hopefully without getting a ticket on the way).

At least Filva and I still got to go out to dinner last night after the kids were in bed. I sure needed to get away after the day we had! We had a really nice visit with them and I was glad they stuck around until almost noon today, so we had more time together!





Photos from Trick-or-Treating

I got this sign from Allergy Free Halloween and had some extra Boom Choco Bars on hand.





*No one asked for them, but we were out for quite a while and we don't get that many treaters on the cul de sac. But I'm glad I had them just in case. And they certainly won't go to waste in this house!

The girls


The 4 Kids


*Logan, Kayla, Alysa & Nick

The more full her pumpkin got, the more she kept droping her candy...


I hope everyone had a fun, safe and less ventful Halloween!


posted at 3:12 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Nowheymama said...

I'm so glad she's OK!

I love that allergy free Halloween sign.

Eli wore that very same Yoda outfit--minus the headpiece.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Poor baby!

It's amazing the pain they'll go through to eat candy.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh poor Kayla! I can't imagine how much that must have hurt! At least she was still able to enjoy trick or treating later. I'm glad you ended up having a nice dinner with your friend too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Search


Photobucket
Make your custom magnet at SupportOurRibbons.com
Photobucket
Blogs I Visit
Allergy Moms Blog
Are We There Yet
Big Blueberry Eyes
Check My Tag
Food Allergy FAQ
Fruit In Season (my Sister's blog)
Go Dairy Free
I'm a Drama Mama
Irish Triplets
My Daughters' Site
No Whey Mama
Our Story
Parenting a Child with Food Allergies
Parenting Solved
Pink Explosion
Principled Perspectives (my Father's blog)
Tuesday's Child
Typette

Blogs I've Designed
Fruit In Season
Principled Perspectives

Digi Scrap Blogs
Digi Treats by Pamela
Lindsay Jane Designs
Peppermint Creative
Sworda Scrappin
Tracy's Scraps

Photobucket

Blogrolls
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Family Friendly Blogroll []

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sat Phot Hunt Blogroll []

Recent Posts
Without a hitch
It’s snowing!
It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown
Safe Halloween Chocolate has arrived
Making their day
Fall has finally arrived
Allergy Update
Columbus Day in Pictures
A scary reaction
A Quilt Giveaway

Archives
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009

I'm Proud Of
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

Miscellaneous
Mom Blogs The WeatherPixie
Subscribe with Bloglines

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by:


Meter: